Monday, December 1, 2008

Jazzy and Rev

In the middle of July two years ago Jazzy a 15 year old Thoroughbred mare gave birth to a little Filly. Shortly after the filly was born she was given the name Rev. I was there when Rev was born and have had the privilege of working with her ever since. Training a horse from birth can be a scary thing. What a horse learns when they are first born carries over for there entire life. What if I did something wrong and missed her up? I read a lot of books about training and have had a very successful experience training Rev and I would like to share with the rest of you how I went about training her.
Jazzy is a very straight build horse and has pretty decent blood lines. She was bread to Cornel Bradley in July. Breeding Thoroughbreds are different then a lot of other breeding. There can be no artificial insemination it has to be done naturally. This is because the blood lines of a racing thoroughbred are worth so much. Breeding naturally proves that a horse has been breed with that certain horse. Artificial insemination can be taken to the lab and switched. It cost 1,000 dollars to breed Jazzy and that included a live foul guarantee. That is quite cheap for a race horse. Stud fees for top horses in Kentucky can go for millions of dollars. I can not imagine paying that much money for a baby horse that I haven’t even seen.

No comments:


View My Stats